Upma is a traditional South Indian dish but is common across India. Because the purpose of ‘Just lazy Food‘ is to prepare dishes that are quick, tasty it as well as hassle free, this Upma recipe is a much simpler version with the most basic ingredients. You can experiment yourself by trying out something new and add variations to the dish to satisfy your taste buds.
- Onion- 1 small sized
- Rava/Sooji/Semolina- 100g
- Green chillies- 2 or 3
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp (optional; just to add some colour)
- Cooking oil- 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- In a pan, roast the Semolina/Rava on a medium flame till you start getting a nice aroma of it but do not allow it to turn brown.
- Transfer the roasted Rava into another plate and heat oil in the pan.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies to it. As these start crackling, add chopped onion to it. Saute it till the onions turn translucent.
- Put some salt as per your taste and add a cup of water to the pan and allow it to boil.
- As the mixture starts boiling, add the roasted Rava to it and keep stirring the mixture continuously to avoid any lumps.
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow it to cook for 2-5 minutes till the water evaporates and the mixture becomes thick. And Upma is ready to be served.
Garnish Upma with finely chopped coriander leaves and squeeze some lemon juice if you like it nice and sour.
Bonus tip: For cheese lovers, adding a layer of grated cheese makes it even yummier..!!