Tomatoes are among one of the most abundant and easily found veggies. They are packed with essential vitamins and minerals, plus it’s good for the skin too..!! Also, it’s a base to plenty of food recipes from cuisines across the world. With their tangy and sour taste, they add a great flavor to food. Tomato curry is my mommy’s recipe. Maybe that’s what gives it the perfect balance of nutrients and taste.
- Tomatoes- 1/2 kg (finely chopped)
- Garlic- 3-4 cloves (thinly sliced)
- Turmeric- 1 tsp
- Red chili powder- 2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Curry leaves- 4-5
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Jaggery chunks- 100g
- Cooking oil- 2 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to it. After the mustard seeds start popping, add the curry leaves.
- Now, add the chopped tomato to the pan along with salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Stir everything well and allow it to cook with the lid covered on a low flame.
- You can also add half a cup of water so that the tomatoes don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Keep stirring at regular intervals until the tomatoes are softened and cooked. It might take up to 15-20 minutes.
- Cut the jaggery into smaller pieces so that it dissolves quickly into the gravy. After the tomatoes are almost cooked, add jaggery into it and mix it all well so that there are no lumps of jaggery left and is distributed evenly into the curry.
- Cook on a medium flame for about 2-5 or minutes or a little more until the jaggery is completely incorporated into the tomato curry.
Serve it hot with chapatis.