Dahi vada is a popular North Indian street dish. They consist of fried urad dal dumplings dunked in rich and creamy yogurt topped with some spices and chutneys, which have the tendency to satisfy all your sweet and spicy cravings. So here’s how you can make this lip smacking recipe quickly and easily.
- Urad dal- 200g
- Moong dal- 50g
- Green chillies- 2
- Black pepper- 1 tsp
- Cooking oil for deep frying
- Yogurt (Dahi)- 400g
- Caster Sugar- 2 tbsp
- Red Chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
- Chaat masala- 1 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1 tsp
- Black salt
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Wash the lentils (Urad dal and Moong dal) thoroughly and soak it in water for atleast 3-4 hours or best if soaked overnight.
- Drain the water from the dal and grind it along with green chillies in a grinder to form a smooth batter. Also add some water, if necessary.
- Add some black pepper and salt, according to your taste to the batter formed.
- Now, heat oil in a pan for deep frying the vadas. Drop spoonfuls of batter to the oil and allow them to fry on medium flame till they turn golden brown.
- Remove vadas from the pan and drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- After the vadas are cooled down, put them in water and allow it to soak for 10-15 minutes. And then gently press each vada between your palms and remove excess water from them. Keep it aside in the serving bowl.
- Now on the other hand, prepare the dahi for dahi vada. Whisk the yogurt (dahi) till its smooth and add sugar to it. Now pour it over the vadas, such that the vadas are completely dipped in dahi.
- Sprinkle some red chilli powder, cumin powder, black salt and chaat masala powder on it along with some chopped coriander leaves. And finally, refrigerate it.
WOW..!! This recipe is totally tempting and I can’t wait to make it again.. Why don’t you try it too??
Also try our Cutlets recipe for snacks.